Monday, July 12, 2010

Can You Say Mountains?


First, I need to say that I think my post yesterday was sub-par. I literally fell asleep at least 4 times while I was writing it. There is just so much energy that is expended with long distance flying. It is wonderful but you definitely need to recharge and by last night I was beat. Tonight is better! :) I am sitting in a nice quite, chill bar in Salida, CO (The Victoria) typing away and drinking a Pinstripe Amber beer. So now, for a breakdown of the day... Whoa! Wow! Holy Sh%t!

We departed Roswell this morning with a low pressure system clearing out to the east. To the west was all blue skies and beauty and our first true mountain of the trip. Roswell is really in the middle of nowhere. It is 180 miles in all directions to the next large town. This is very apparent from the air right after you take off. We headed north to Santa Fe, NM a made a beautiful approach to runway 33. The colors of the desert landscape started to peek through here and there.

After some discussion on the ground we decided to to go ahead and try for the mountains of Colorado. Everything looked good so why not? We departed and climbed to 14,000 as we headed up the San Louis Vally. It is surreal to see the terrain just climb and climb in front of you. It is an incredible approach to the mountains of Colorado. Jerry wanted to fly an IFR route but I wanted to go VFR. After a bit of back and forth we decided on the IFR. Regardless we came into a beautiful approach to Leadville, CO. This is the highest airport in all of the North American continent! The field elevation is just 80 feet shy of 10,000 feet. Incredible. Jerry made the landing in a 31 knot crosswind and did a great job. Having the twin turbocharged engine in this plane is almost like cheating. After some time on the ground where we got certificates and tee shirts we headed down the valley to one of my favorite towns, Salida, CO. Everything was really perfect. Our friends, Kim and Olen, let Jerry and I use their house and we are loving it. I was able to briefly see Amy's sister Shannon when she dropped off the key for the house. It was so great to see her! We will hopefully be able to see her and her husband Dave for a bit of tomorrow.

Now I am beat tired again. We are spending the full day here so I am hoping to get some good rest. Till tomorrow...

3 comments:

  1. Hey buddy! Thanks for the update. See you when you get back to NJ. Take care out there.

    Dan Comer

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad you were in NM and I'm not there! Oh well, you'll have to fly back that way after August 6th! :) Fun following your blog. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess and Dan, Great to hear from you both!

    Dan, thanks for the well wishes!

    Jess, I thought that there was something missing in NM! :)I hope that you are having a wonderful time in Canada!

    ReplyDelete