Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Home Through a Cloud Forest


Clouds have always been intangible objects of the physical world; we can see them but they evade our touch high above. If they do happen down to kiss this earth then our hands and our minds fumble if we try to grasp hold. A mystery surrounds us whether we are gazing from afar at their lofty hights and billowing shapes or if we are wallowing within their grey envelope spread across the land.

That to me is one of the most magical things about flying; clouds are no longer wonders in the distance but rather cottony companions in the boundless sky. They spread out below you like a shining white sheet; underneath lies shadow, above a brilliant white. They billow and create mountains and canyons on every side, a new adventure around every corner. They separate into delicate layers and when you ride in between them you feel as though you alone are privy to this secret world. Then, with a jolt of adrenaline, you race towards them tearing across the sky at over 200 mph and in the instant that your brain anticipates a collision, the world disappears and you are surrounded in a soft white; slight jolts of internal air currents rocking your wings. Is there anything closer than this to living in a dream?

This was my world as Jerry and I left Oshkosh and headed home: a world of white. A tailwind blew out of southern Canada and pushed us along 41 knots faster than our little engine could. Our groundspeed topped out at 300mph. It was to be our fastest leg of the whole trip. As I gazed out my window to the south I thought of this trip and our time spent seeing this country and family and friends along the way. In three weeks we had pushed ourselves, our plane, and the boundaries of what is conceived to be possible. What was so special about this trip? Only that we did it. We did not let a dream of an experience fade away into the dustbin of the day-to-day. It is incredible what you can accomplish when you just simply do what you want to accomplish. It is that simple act alone that that can transform your life. It is all about choices; everyday you can start anew.

As we began our decent from 17,000 ft towards our loved ones waiting for us below, a cumulus layer came fast upon us. The bases were probably 5 or 6,000 ft above the ground; the tops of a few of those clouds stretched 5,000ft above that. It was the perfect picture of a forest, only in white. It was a wilderness which I have yet to explore. I have had the good fortune to live a significant part of my life in the wild lands of the world. Now I turn my face to the sky and eagerly anticipate my next level of pilot's licence (instrument) and my ability to dance with the clouds at will.

Now to dance into the arms of my wife Amy...

My next adventure begins on August 3rd when Amy and I depart in our car to drive across Canada to Alaska with our dog Sebastian. We will spend a month flying a small plane all around the state. Tune in then for more blog updates! All the best to you...

Clark

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you are home and going back out again, Clark! Welcome home and Bon Voyage! Hope you and Amy have a lovely August and perhaps we can catch you on the flip side in September. See my email regarding Snatam Kaur...

    ReplyDelete