Sunday, July 25, 2010

FO1


Jerry is a dentist and he and his assistant have found that they have had to find ways to say certain things in front of patients in order to convey information that they really don't want the patients to understand. They have come up with various codes, one of which is FO1. Well, today I found out the true meaning of what it means to be FO1.

Ben, the owner of the FBO, picked us up at our hotels in Custer (we could not find two rooms at the same place) at 7am. We made our way over to the airport to get things ready for our departure we saw a handful of hot air balloons floating over the ridge. They had gone up early for a sunrise flight. How cool is that? As we approached the airport we saw that one of the balloons had landed right at the end of the runway and was sitting there with its balloon fully inflated. That would be considered an obstacle right? Lori, Ben's wife, had made these incredible buttermilk-blueberry muffins that were literally the best muffins that I have ever had. We finished up our final details, went to the bathroom, and decided that we were ready for the flight to the Oshkosh area. We settled on arriving at the Appleton, WI airport because my friend Cindy (who was going to be our hostess for the next few nights along with her husband Mark) had said that she could come and pick us up there.

As we taxied out to the runway I realized that I already had one major problem; I realized that I already felt like I had to pee again and we had not yet even departed! Add to that that this flight from Custer, SD to Appleton, WI was going to be our longest leg of the trip yet to date: 4 HOURS!!! Oh, this was bad...

Well, off we went heading east. As we cruised over the agricultural lands of the Great Plains we enjoyed passing the time telling stories, looking out over the vast landscape below, and singing along with bluegrass music streaming in over the XM radio. All of this was helping me stave off the growing pressure in my bladder. At two hours after departure I was thinking, " Wow, this is starting to be really uncomfortable." At three hours in I was thinking, "Dear God." By the fourth hour there was really nothing else on my mind. It was almost transcendent, kind of a like a meditation on pain. Think: walking on hot coals or hanging from from body piercings.

Our arrival into Appleton was as smooth as could be. It was very easy and well organized. We were able to get a tiedown on the asphalt like Jerry had wanted. As soon as we pulled off the runway I had my seatbelt off and was ready to jump out. That is just what I did as we turned off the engine. Sweet relief!

Cindy picked us up and we headed back to their house in Oshkosh. After a little down time there and the arrival of three more guest who had just flown up on a DC-3 from Georgia we all headed out to the locally famous Wendt's on the Water for some fresh fried perch and Moose Drool beer. It was wonderful. As we all finished up with our dinner and the conversation was winding down, I walked out onto the restaurants dock alone. Lake Winnebago spread out before me, its waters smooth like glass. Seagulls called in the distance from the little island where they roost overnight. As I reached the end of the dock, the full moon began to rise above the distant opposite shore. Everything was absolute calm and peace. It feels so good to be here again and to feel the excitement the night before the opening of the largest aviation show in the world. Last year was my first time here and now just one year later if feels like the old familiar.

Tomorrow: to the show!

Oh, and what does FO1 stand for??? Full Of #1 (Pee)!

1 comment: