Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Night Before


Well, as planned Jerry and I met this morning at 7:30 to finish the packing and do a complete weight and balance on the plane. After both us made some hard choices on what to leave behind (I had to leave behind my cowboy boots! Ouch...)we got to a place where we both feel good. All packed up and ready to go.

Now as the night starts to draw to a close the reality for Amy and I that we are once again about to endure 3 weeks apart sinks in; it is always tough. We are both pursuing our passions though: she is teaching NJ Scholars and I am spreading my wings to stretch myself and explore deeper into my aviation dreams. For the past 14 years of our time together the words of a Metallica song has summed it up for us, "So close, no matter how far." I remember nights in 1996 when we listen to that song over and over on repeat. How could we have know that it was speaking so eloquently to what would be our paths in life. Supporting each other in our goals and dreams while at the same time making room for ourselves together and apart. The words of Kahlil Gibran come to mind...

The last bits of my bag are strewn over the couch. I am going to put them in their bag and head to sleep. Jerry and I are talking at 5:30am to see what the weather looks like. We are planning on a 7am departure but it looks like we might have some low ceilings to contend with. We will see. By any case we should be off by 9am at the latest. The plan: Trenton to Atlanta at 8,000ft in 3 hrs 45 min. We will have lunch with my dad and Anne at PDK and then off to New Orleans via Mobile Bay and my hometown. We will be seeing my sister Gigi and her wife Shannon while we are there. I can't wait. ETA for New Orleans is 4pm. Let's see how things turn out...

No comments:

Post a Comment