Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Preparations

Today I find myself in familiar territory, preparing to be gone for multiple weeks and trying to take care of all the last minute things. There is always a little bit of a pressure wave right here before the departure as everything that needs to get done needs to get done in this small space of time. However, as soon as I walk of the door on the day of departure all those things not done are just "not done" and life goes on... :)

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to present to the students in the summer program that Amy is teaching (NJ Scholars Program) about my 40 day 40 night solo backpacking trip that I took this past fall. Afterwards, the whole group stayed for an additional half an hour of Q&A. So many thoughtful questions came from the room. It was a real treat to share with them some of my experiences and to see in their eyes the flames of adventure kindled bright. What incredible journeys lay before them; it boggles the mind.

Tonight I am finishing up packing my bag for the trip, then tomorrow Jerry and I meet at 7:30am to weigh all the bags and gear and calculate the plane's final weight and balance. Then a few last meetings and time with Amy and then Friday we are off!

No comments:

Post a Comment